Writing My First Traditionally Published Children's Book

Most people who know me - evenly remotely well - know that I told my second grade teacher, "When I grow up, I want to be a child psychologist...AND a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader!" The year was 1980, and those young women were the epitome of cool to a Southern girl. They wore white boots and their hair was perfectly coiffed, with fly-away bangs and the best curls! 
Here's me rocking the look 😏






 














Hat added for dancing fun!







Part of that dream came true. I am a child psychologist, living in the Dallas area. AND, I can still rock a mean pair of cowboy boots! 










It turns out cheering was a quick fad in my life. BUT...some childhood dreams just don't die. You know, they're the kind that nag you as you drift off to sleep and fill your first thoughts as you wake. The ones that show up as you ask important children in your lives what jobs they want as adults. They are the hopes and regrets that echo when you ask your closest friends and family members if their childhood versions of themselves would be proud of who they are in the present moment. 

For me, this dream was to become a picture book author. I started writing books when I was just three. My mom helped me do some of the actual writing and my dad was the illustrator. I continued to write stories - as well as song lyrics and poetry throughout my life. Some of it got published in local magazines or online, and I was very proud. However, I knew I had more in me. I had more to say, more to write - a bigger message, a better way to reach more children. 

 
So, I wrote an application for a faculty development leave to study children's literature and writing! I took workshops. I went on retreats. I did online trainings, and I attended conferences. Finally, I started writing. I wrote and read, and read and wrote. I joined online and in-person critique groups. They helped me edit and did peer review. I joined the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and the Children's Literature Association.  

It was way harder than I ever imagined. I did multiple online groups that are intensive monthly experiences, like Reading for Research, Rhyming Picture Book Month, and Picture Book Magic. I learned so much, and I still have so much to learn! I did get to the point where I felt confident enough to send out a manuscript (after learning about cover letters and pitch). It immediately got rejected without being looked at, four times in a row. Then, I got a miraculous phone call from an editor who said tweak it and we might take it. I thought, "Hey, it's like a revise and resubmit. Cool. I know how those work!" I did exactly what was suggested...and I heard nothing for 9.5 months...then I got a NO! 😦 

So, I worked on it some more. I edited it and worked with a critique group again. And, I sent it to another publisher (Shawnee Scientific Press in Carbondale, Illinois). And this time, I got a YES! This publisher liked the picture book story so much, I was asked to write a series. 

I got to choose an illustrator too. This is super unusual and is a complete dream come true, as she and I are (non-blood related) family and she (my Mel, as I call her - Melissa Londoño Connally) wanted this as much as me! 







So, we are writing and illustrating a 6-book picture book series for children ages 4 to 8 (-ish) and the adults who love them. The books will tell stories about our main character, Becca Epps. She is a precocious 5-year-old girl who loves learning and helping people but sometimes her busy mind and body, and her chronic illnesses, get in her way. Throughout the series, Becca learns acceptance and mindfulness techniques as well as ways to live out her values! 

Mel and I are really excited to bring Becca to life!! 

Here is our trailer for the first book in the series, titled, I See Me: More Than One Tree!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to BE an Author...Again